tabs

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fruity Candied Popcorn

In high school I came across a popcorn store that had wall to wall bins of different colors and flavors of popcorn.  It was such a novel treat to me.  When I came across this recipe for fruity popcorn it reminded me of that store and I wanted to try it with the kids.

In order to prepare for this recipe, I decided to buy a Presto PopLite, a hot air popcorn popper just like the one my family had when I was growing up.  My kids are used to microwaved popcorn, so they got a kick watching the popcorn pop.
seems baby T is the only one not interested in the popcorn
Recipe: 
8 cups popped popcorn
1/4 cup butter
3 T light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
3.5oz box flavored gelatin (not the sugar free kind)

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place popcorn in an extra large mixing bowl.
3. Melt butter and corn syrup in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add sugar and gelatin and stir to combine.
4. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Immediately pour syrup over popcorn. Mix quickly and stir to coat. Spread mixture onto prepared pan and spread out evenly.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes until candy coating is crisp.

strawberry candied popcorn
I made strawberry flavored popcorn because that's what I had on hand but want to try some different flavors next time.  I bet a rainbow mix would make awesome party snacks or favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment