tabs

Monday, July 1, 2013

Baby T's Bek-il (100th Day Celebration)

This past weekend we celebrated my Baby T's 100th day of life.  One hundred days are significant historically in Korean culture due to the high infant mortality rates long ago.  I only recently learned that this is actually the 2nd of 3 significant celebrations in a child's life.  The first is at 21 days (which is a quiet affair because mom and baby are still in isolation at home) and the 3rd is the Dohl-1 year of life. 

Leading up to the Bek-il I was a little exhausted because big brother L was recovering from an adenoidectomy and BMT and required extra attention while experiencing side effects.  But I did want to prepare some decorations for baby T.  My little sister, the 3rd of the family, also reminds me regularly that I must not neglect #3 and give him just as much attention as I did for #1 and #2.

I decided to forgo the traditional table decoration with lots of fruit and rice cakes and went with something a little more simple.  I made hanging pom-poms a la Martha Stewart and suspended them from the ceiling.  I wanted to keep a blue theme but big bro L insisted on yellow flowers, so we picked up a bouquet of yellow gerber daisies and actually I'm glad I heeded his advice because I liked the contrasting colors.  I printed out the letters of his name on cardstock and stood them up on the table.  Finally, I picked up a strawberry shortcake from Whole Foods and used candy melt to make the 100 for the cake topper.

I catered food from Eun Ha Soo in Palisades Park.  I probably ordered a lot more than was necessary for 7 adults.  But I always like to have plenty of food and lots of variety.  And since this is potentially my last Bek-il, i thought I'd splurge for baby T. 

My lil' sister and parents drove up from VA and my big sister and her family also joined us for the occasion.
Lots of love for Baby T

Unfortunately, hubby was awfully sick on the day of the Bek-il but managed to crawl out of bed briefly for a photo with baby T.  Baby T was so excited to see daddy that he gave a nice big smile for the camera.

Baby T was so exhausted from all the excitement and attention that he went down for a nap while we all ate in his honor.  The big kids continued the celebration outside by breaking in the new Slip 'n Slide.  They came in famished and devoured all the mandoo.  See, it's a good thing I over-ordered food!

It was a great time celebrating baby T's 100 days of life and I am thankful for all the love surrounding baby T!

No comments:

Post a Comment