tabs

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Superhero Birthday Party

My little boy turned 3 last month!  He and my little girl have birthdays just 1 day apart.  In the hustle and bustle of preparing for my little girl's traditional Korean 1st birthday, I couldn't plan anything big for him.  So this year, we celebrated L's birthday with a small gathering of his homeschool group and one other best bud in the theme of SuperHeroes.

Here was the invitation:
After sending out the invitations, I decided to do a red and blue theme with some Spiderman accents since L had recently gotten into Spiderman.  The simple decorations consisted of red paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and some red and blue helium balloons scattered through the room. 

For activities, I ordered capes and masks with each child's initial from Sew Plain Jane (in red for the boys and pink for the girls) and had the kids decorate the capes with adhesive felt shapes. 
Super-L, Super-K, and Super-J ready for action
Once the Superheroes were dressed, I sent them on a rescue mission to find the toys from Toy Story who were "lost" in our house.  I bought a pack of Toy Story Uno cards and taped pictures of Buzz, Woody, Rex, Mr. Potato Head, etc. throughout the living room for the kids to find. 

For the next activity we played Pin the Spider on Spiderman's chest.  I couldn't find a big poster of Spiderman, so I improvised and used a big mylar balloon.
Dad giving a demonstration
On the menu were: glazed meatballs, bbq pulled pork sliders, fruit salad, mac 'n cheese, roasted red pepper hummus with crudite, and lemonade.

After eating, I made some balloon swords and the Superheroes engaged in battle....In retrospect, I wonder if I had encouraged violence and whether I didn't think that one through too well, especially when they started chanting "fight, fight, fight!" and beating up on poor old dad!

The party ended with singing Happy Birthday to Super-L.

Here are some pictures of Super-L's Super-friends who came to celebrate his 3rd birthday:
L & K love balloons
Super-Emo and Super-J
Super-M and Super-Emo
Super-J enjoying the cupcake
Super-K
Super-Emo being attacked
All in all, I think the SuperHero party was a success and Super-L had a blast!

2 comments: