tabs

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Edible Birds Nests

This fun food craft is perfect for the spring.  I did this activity with "P's" homeschool group recently and paired it with a reading of the well known children's book "Are You My Mother."  I pointed out in the story that birds come from eggs, live in nests, and eat worms.  Then we headed to the kitchen to put those things together.

Instructions to make the nest:
1. Melt some butterscotch morsels and chocolate chips in the microwave.
2. Stir in fried chow mein noodles. 
3. Shape the nest around parchment lined small bowls or cups and allow to harden at room temperature.
4. Once the chocolate/butterscotch firms up, peel the nests off of the parchment and they are ready to fill.



If you have any of the chowmein mixture left over, you can scoop small dollops of it on parchment paper and they make yummy bite-sized treats for the kids (and adults!). 
"P" eagerly waiting to eat one
My son made this nest and he filled it with edible grass, robin eggs (candy coated malt balls), gummy worms, and baby chicks (Peeps).

Here are the items I provided for the kids to fill their nests:

Chow mein noodles are easily found in the Asian aisle of the grocery store (I picked mine up at Target).  Sometimes they come in cans too.  I really like how they give the nest texture and look like twigs in a real nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment