tabs

Monday, April 23, 2012

Bindae Dduk (Mung Bean Sprout Pancakes)

Occasionally I have a hankering for Bindae Dduk, mung bean sprout pancakes.  I think there is an instant mix you can buy, but honestly it's just as easy to make it from scratch.

Instructions:
1. I start by soaking some yellow mung beans overnight in some water.
Soaked mung beans
2. Then I blend it the drained beans in my Vitamix. Add a little water if necessary but you want a thick batter.
Pureed mung beans
3. To the batter I add some cooked mung bean sprouts, chopped kimchi, cooked ground pork, and some salt. 
The batter
4. Fry it up in oil just like pancakes.  Once the edges get golden  brown, flip it over.  I added some "shil gochu," thinly sliced dried red pepper to one side of the batter for a little color before flipping.
Fried Bindae Dduk
The batter holds together by itself.  But I did try adding an egg to see if it added anything.  It lightened the pancakes, but personally I prefer it without egg.  I like my Bindae Dduk hearty and dense.

No comments:

Post a Comment