tabs

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Big L's 6th Batman Birthday

This year, Big L wanted a Batman themed birthday party at his Tae Kwon Do studio.  While he wanted to invite all his classmates, I decided to limit it to just the boys.  I've found that I prefer smaller parties because it allows the birthday boy more interaction with each guest, which makes it more fun for both Big L and his guests.

I made this invitation featuring Big L's face on Batman's body.

 I made labels for small water bottles since I figured the kids would be working up a sweat. 


For favors, I made personalized shirts using Jolee's iron on transfers which I picked up at my local craft store.  I also made bat signal flashlights by putting on a bat symbol on a black flashlight. The bat signals are a good idea in theory but are really only clear when the light is held close to the wall.  I couldn't find a cost-effective and easy solution to improve it but I figured at least the kids get a flashlight.

In keeping with tradition, I made a small cake for my Big L which featured the Gotham city skyline, a bat signal and Batman holding a happy birthday sign.

For the guests, I made cupcakes with the Batman symbol made out of modeling chocolate.

The party was a hit especially the board breaking, which every guest had the opportunity to try.  It really is such a confidence builder and some of the kids who were initially nervous about it were so happy and proud when they had successfully broken the board.

Dear Big L,
What a huge transition this past year has been and full of so many accomplishments!  You started kindergarten, made many new friends in our new home town including your best friend R, learned to read and write sentences, became a big brother for the second time and earned a striped black belt in TKD along with a "Best Student" badge.  You continue to amaze us with your knowledge, memory, creativity in building things out of any building toy, and your athleticism.  When you put your mind to something you really put in all your effort and energy and it often shows in the amount of sweat you produce!  You are so animated and we love to listen to you retell stories as you use big hand gestures and dramatic inflections in your voice.  You developed a sense of humor this year and love telling your own knock knock jokes.  I admire your self-confidence and that you don't care what others might say about the nail polish on your thumb or the particular shirt you wear.  You always repeat my words back to me that it doesn't matter what others think as long as you like it.  And I believe that you actually believe that to be true.  I hope you will always live with that same confidence and security in who you are.  You have a magnetic personality--adults find you endearing and many kids want to befriend you.  I even learned recently that a little girl in school has a crush on you.  You have a way of drawing people to you and I pray that God would use that to draw people to Him.  We love you!
Love,
Mom 

No comments:

Post a Comment