tabs

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pumpkin Tart

Fall is here and that means apples and pumpkins.  I still haven't had a chance to take the kids pumpkin picking but figured a can of pumpkin would be a good way to kick off the fall. 

I opted for a pumpkin tart (recipe below) instead of a pie because I wanted to break out the tart pan that's been so very neglected. 

I'm not a big fan of lots of kitchen gadgets because I can do most things with either a knife or something I already have.  But I gotta say, I love my pastry blender.  I've always avoided buying one because you really can just break the fat into the flour using a fork but after using a pastry blender, I just can't go back.  It makes such quick work of making dough and it's easy and fun for the kids to use. 
Lil P rolling out the dough while Baby T looks on
Pumpkin Tart Recipe 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar*
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix 
2 large eggs 
15 oz (1 can) pure pumpkin
12 oz (1 can) evaporated milk
Combine all the ingredients.  Pour into a tart pan (or pie pan) lined with unbaked dough.  Bake 350 for 50 minutes until

Pie Crust Recipe

1 cups all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/3 cup cold butter cut into cubes
2-3 tablespoons cold water

Combine flour and salt in large bowl.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water just until flour is moistened.  Shape dough into a flat disk and roll out to fit tart pan.


* This recipe produced a tart that was not too sweet. Next time I would probably increase the amount of sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment