tabs

Thursday, December 12, 2013

A Steak Cake

This is probably the funniest cake I've made, or at least it was received with laughter.  I made this surprise birthday steak cake for my friend who has been on a low carb diet.  Surely a cake shaped like a steak has to be Atkins friendly, no?

I carved the cake in the shape of a steak and covered it with a chocolate marshmallow fondant.  The natural brown color of the chocolate was perfect and I didn't need to use any additional food coloring.  The grill marks were painted on with black food coloring.  The green beans and carrots were made from marshmallow fondant.
 
In retrospect, I should have made a strawberry cake so that the pink inside looked like a steak cooked to medium when she sliced it.

At some point I will learn the art of airbrushing, which I think would have produced a more realistic looking steak rather than a more cartoony one.

Nonetheless, I was happy with the cake and happier at the smiles and laughter it produced when my good friend saw the cake!  Happy birthday, Joo!

No comments:

Post a Comment