tabs

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Oatmeal Bread

I've been using the same Oatmeal Bread recipe that came with my bread maker for years.  But I decided I needed a change and saw this recipe on the back of my King Arthur flour package.  It's a keeper! 

This recipe produced a tender, hearty bread with a nice crust that was yummy fresh from the breadmaker, even better toasted with a slathering of apple butter, and made for great french toast the next day.  I froze the leftovers pre-sliced so that I can take out a slice at a time for toast.


Oatmeal Bread
3 c. King Arthur Unbleached bread flour
1. c. rolled oats (old fashioned oats)
2 T. butter
1 1/2 t. salt
3 T. honey
2 t. instant yeast or 1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 c. lukewarm milk
3/4 raisins/currants/craisins

Bread machine method: Place all of the ingredients (except fruit) into the pan of your machine.  Add fruit about 3 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle or place in your fruit dispenser.

** The original recipe suggests only making the dough in the bread machine and then shaping it by hand, letting it rise and then baking it in the oven.  But I did the whole process in the bread machine and obtained great results.  I figured I'd save myself the trouble afterall, isn't that the whole point of the bread machine?

Manual method: In a large mixing bowl or bowl of an electric mixer combine all the ingredients to form a shaggy dough.  Knead by hand (10 minutes) or by machine (5 minutes) until smooth.  Place dough in lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rest 1 hour.  Transfer dough to lightly oiled surface and shape into a log.  Place into a lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pan, cover the pan with lightly greased platic wrap adn allow the dough to rise 1-1 1/2 hours until dough is 1-2" above the rim of the pan.  Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 35-40 minutes.

**The only change I would make to this recipe is to increase the amount of dried fruit to 1 1/4 cups.  It was a little sparse for the size of the loaf and my son kept looking for more fruit.

I love cooking with my son!  He was so proud that he helped make the bread.  He kept saying "I made this, I made this!" while happily munching away.

No comments:

Post a Comment