tabs

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Niece's Birthday Cake

I was commissioned with the task of making my niece's cake for her 6th birthday.  The only request was that it include pink, her favorite color, and her name.  We were going to celebrate it over Thankgiving when the entire family was gathered, so I had to make it in advance and transport it 250 miles. 
Happy Birthday K!
I made and decorated the cake with the assistance of my favorite kitchen helper.

Rolling out the hot pink fondant


L decided he cover the cake in purple polka dots

The cake was pink velvet (basically the recipe for a red velvet cake with a little less food coloring to make it pink) with cream cheese frosting.  I hoped that the fondant would help retain its moisture more but it was a little dry by the time we celebrated my niece's birthday 2 days later. 
Pink velvet cake with cream cheese froting

My niece has a long name, so to meet the criteria of including her name on the cake, I wrote a birthday message with her name around the base of the cake with edible ink.

Duff Goldman of Charm City Cakes now has a line of cake decoration products, including these cake wires which I used for a little pizzazz and height.  I attached some fondant balls to the ends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment