tabs

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Rosemary Salt

Several weeks ago I bought a rosemary plant shaped like a little Christmas tree from Trader Joe's.  I thought it would make a nice aromatic, holiday decoration.  I figured after Christmas I would use the rosemary to cook and bake with.

The plant has been gracing my dining table until recently when I had the perfect occasion to use the rosemary to make some small gifts in the form of rosemary salt. 

Procedure:
1. Strip rosemary from the stem and collect 1 cup worth.
2. Combine rosemary and 2 cups coarse sea salt in a blender or food processor and pulse until rosemary and salt are the same size (don't turn it into powder!).
3. Add 2 cups of kosher salt and stir to combine.
 

I bought some glass favor jars in the wedding aisle of Michael's which made the perfect, airtight storage container.  I tucked a small sprig of rosemary into the top of the salt so that it was obvious what it was, in case the aroma didn't give it away.  A few labels describing the contents and suggested uses later, tada! 

I can be kinda corny and included a Bible verse on the label from Matthew 5:14 that says "You are the salt of the earth" since the thank you gift was for some Sunday School volunteers.
the picture looks yellow but the salt is actually white with green flecks

Rosemary salt is a great seasoning for grilled or roasted meat and vegetables.  It was delicious sprinkled on some corn last night.  I think it would be particularly great on sliced fresh tomatoes or tossed with some potatoes and olive oil before roasting.

Apparently, rosemary is the herb sacred to remembrance and friendship.  How appropriate to use this herb for gifts during the holiday season!

The little card attached on the plant had some great suggested uses for rosemary.  I'll be sure to get plenty of use out of my little plant since there are quite a few stems still left.  I didn't know #3 and definitely will try that one!

Suggested uses for rosemary:
1. Add whole sprigs to marinades, vinegars, oils
2. Skewer between meats and vegetables before grilling
3. Dried leaves in the closet or drawers to repel moths
4. Crush dried leaves into stews, soups, casseroles
5. Sip as tea to relieve nervous tension
6. Mix with oil to treat dandruff
7. Place fresh sprigs in water for a herbal bath

No comments:

Post a Comment