tabs

Monday, May 4, 2015

A Titleist Hat Cake for My Golf Fanatic Hubby

This year I gave quite a bit of thought to what type of golf themed cake I would make for hubby's birthday.  I've done golf balls and holes and I got so excited when the idea came to me while looking at golf pictures--a Titleist hat cake just like the one he always wears!
Cake on the left, real hat on the right
I secretly borrowed his hat for a few days to make a template of the brim and to let the fondant cutout dry on the curved brim so that it would take a curved shape.  The brim is actually two layers of fondant (red and black) because the real hat has a black lining.  FYI, I covered the hat in plastic wrap to protect the hat and to keep the fondant clean.  After a few days it was holding its shape well.

To make the "Titleist" accurate, I printed out the text and placed it under parchment paper to use as a template.  I used long thin ropes of fondant to mimic the embroidered look.

To make the round part of the hat, I used half of a 3D ball cake pan and a 6" round cake pan to make a double layered cake.  The cake was hubby's favorite red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.  The recipe is below.

For the embellishments, I used a dotted roller to make perforated lines for the seams.  I made small flattened balls and used a toothpick to make a hole through the ball to make the vents.  A bigger, flattened ball was used for the top of the hat.


The recipe for Red Velvet Cake comes from Sally's Baking Addiction.  Her recipe varies from others in that the eggs are separated and the beaten whites are folded in last for a lighter texture.


I'm not sure what the next golf themed cake will be.  Lil P suggested a golf cart.  Perhaps a golf bag with clubs in it?   I guess I have another year to think about it!








No comments:

Post a Comment