tabs

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Ch Ch Ch Chia

When I hear "chia" I automatically think of Chia Pets which were popular back when I was in elementary school.  I didn't even know they there were still around until I looked it up on Amazon and found that now they come in all sorts of designs--you can even get a Chia Barack. 

Lately, in my attempt to encourage healthier eating in our family I researched and bought some chia seeds, which are considered a super food.  Chia seeds are high in fiber and protein, full of omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants, because they absorb so much water they keep you feeling full longer.  Eating just one ounce (2.75 Tbsp) adds 11 grams of fiber to your diet.  They offer so many other health benefits that I thought it worth incorporating them into our diets. 



1. One of the easiest ways to use chia seeds is to simply sprinkle it on top of your food.  They are less noticeable to the particularly sensitive palates when mixed with foods with texture.
Sprinkled atop steel cut oatmeal

Sprinkled on kimbap
2. Make a chia gel (Combine 1 Tbsp chia seeds + 9 Tbsp filtered water, mix and let sit for 15 minutes) and use the gel to replace oil or butter in recipes.

I replaced half the oil in a boxed brownie mix.  Because of the sprinkles, the texture of the chia seeds were not easily noticeable though I did get the occasional seed stuck in my tooth. 

3. I haven't made an egg substitute with chia seeds yet but the recipe is 1 Tbsp chia seeds + 3 Tbsp filtered water left to sit for 15 minutes. 

3. Added to a smoothie, they are completely unnoticeable and help to thicken the smoothie. 

I'm not going to lie, chia seeds are well...seeds.  While they don't really have any particular flavor, when added to foods without pulverizing them they may still be noticeable to the extremely sensitive and discerning palates.  I just tell my kids they are like sesame seeds, which they are used to.  And other times, I don't even tell them they are there.


No comments:

Post a Comment