tabs

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Fruit Salad

It's that time of the year and there are lots of holiday activities to keep me busy, including at my son's school.  "L" had a holiday party and this time I signed up to bring fruit.  I thought about how I could make fruit more festive and first considered a red and green them, but good strawberries are hard to come by lately.  Then, I actually googled "Christmas fruit salad" and most of the results were for gelatin mold salads and mayo based fruit salads.  I'm not sure how many 3-year olds would dig those. 

So I decided to make a regular fruit salad and bought some Christmas cupcake liners that came with decorative picks.  To pre-portion everything out for the sake of the teachers, I used foil cupcake liners and placed the Christmas liners on the outside.  I filled the cups with blueberries, grapes, orange segments and honeydew.  I cut thin slices of the honeydew and cut out tree, star and candy cane shapes using small cookie cutters.  I was glad I finally got some use out of those cutters!  I had bought a pineapple earlier in the week and that would have made a better star but alas, that pineapple was not ripe in time.

The kids, and apparently the teachers too, totally got a kick out of the shaped honeydew.  I don't know what it is, but I guess things are just more fun to eat when cut into shapes.  Now I'm wondering if I can cut beef into candy cane shapes to get my lil "P" to eat it.


Here's a picture of a fully assembled cup with the cute penguin pick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment