tabs

Friday, May 25, 2012

Sugared Cinnamon Almonds

So, I blogged earlier about some California Carmel almonds that my sister gave me.  Well I still had some 4 lbs left and was wondering what else I should do with them.  I made Sugared Almonds and then roasted some for a Spinach Strawberry Salad.  I found this recipe for Sugared Cinnamon Almonds and decided to give them a go. 

I modified the recipe slightly after reading some of the reviews and I think they turned out pretty well.  My son loved them and it was easier than the Sugared Almond recipe which required more attention and time in front of stove.  The one drawback that my hubby noticed is that this method did not produce a even and uniform coating like the ones done stove top.  You can notice in the picture some almonds with either a thin or broken coating of sugar.  Some of the sugar coating broke off of the almonds while I was stirring it.  Either way, it was still yummy. 
 

Recipe: 
3 1/4 cups whole almonds 
c. sugar
2 T. cinnamon
1 egg white
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 300.
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
In another bowl beat egg whites until frothy.  Stir in vanilla and salt.
Add almonds to the egg whites and coat thoroughly (it's the glue for the sugar).
Pour almonds into cinnamon sugar mixture stir to coat.
Spread almonds in one layer on a parchment sheet lined baking sheet.
Bake 25 minutes, stirring half way through.
Cool thoroughly.
Store in airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment